Dr. Walter Mzembi, the first african minister elected as member of EUROPEAN TOURISM ACADEMY is on the road to register another record becoming the first african elected as United Nations Tourism Organisation leader.
The Executive Council of the African Union — comprising the continent’s foreign affairs ministers — decided to endorse Tourism and Hospitality Industry Minister Dr Walter Mzembi as the continent’s sole candidate for the post of United Nations World Tourism Organisation Secretary-General.
Dr. Walter Mzembi is receiving the insignia of EUROPEAN TOURISM ACADEMY in Harare, 2014, Zimbabwe-WORLD BEST TOURIST DESTINATION FOR 2014.
The endorsement comes two days after the AU Committee on Candidature and International Deployment accepted Dr Mzembi’s application for approval as the continent’s candidate.
The Executive Council has now asked African Heads of State and Government to approve Academician Walter Mzembi’s endorsement at the ongoing AU Heads of State and Government Summit here.
“The Executive Council takes note of the Ministerial Committee of African Candidates within the international system and approves election to the post of Secretary General of the World Tourism Organisation, the selection process of which starts October 2016, the candidature of Dr Eng Walter Mzembi of the Republic of Zimbabwe,” read a statement released yesterday afternoon.
The Hon. Dr. Walter Mzembi, Ph.D., member of European Tourism Academy has been the current Minister of Tourism and Hospitality Industry for the Republic of Zimbabwe since 2009.
He has also been a member of Parliament for the Masvingo South Constituency since 2004 and the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Regional Commission for Africa Chairperson from 2013 to date.
Mzembi’s experience in the world of tourism includes: the successful bid of Zimbabwe for WORLD BEST TOURIST DESTINATION award in 2014 and designation as FAVOURITE CULTURAL DESTINATION for the same year.
Other strong points for his candidature are: his international positions as Chairman of the Southern Africa Development Community Committee of Tourism Ministers in 2015, UNWTO Executive Council Member from 2009 to 2013, UNWTO Co-President in Session 20 of the General Assembly from 2013-2015, as well as President of the Africa Travel Association (New York-based) 3 times.
Minister Walter Mzembi is savouring his success at ZIMBABWE WORLD BEST TOURIST DESTINATION FOR 2014 ceremony between President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe and President Dr. Anton Caragea of European Council on Tourism and Trade.
Academician Walter Mzembi received many global honors:
– African Tourism Minister of the Year (2011): African Investor Tourism Investment
– Africa Leadership Awards (2012), Mauritius
– Brand Leadership Award (2012)
– Mark of Excellence Award (2012)
– Africa Leadership and Inspiration Award (2012)
– TouchRoad Sino – Africa Investment Excellence Awards (2011), Shanghai, China
– Africa Travel Association-Outstanding Service to the Association (2012), USA
– Special Recognition for Excellence Award: African Achievers Awards (2012), Nairobi, Kenya
– Africa Travel Association Presidency Appreciation Award (2012-2014), USA
Additionally, he has received recognition in the domestic arena as well:
– Public Service Manager of the Year (2011), Zimbabwe Institute of Management
– Tourism Personality of the Year (2011), Hospitality Association of Zimbabwe
– Tourism Personality of the Year (2012), Zimbabwe Council for Tourism
– Outstanding Contribution to Agriculture in Zimbabwe (2012), Zimbabwe Farmers Union
– Most Consumer Focused Executive-Service Excellence Awards (2014), Customer Contact Centre
– Tourism Image Builder of the Year (2014), Megafest Tourism Awards
– Exceptional Contribution to Marketing (2015), Marketers Association of Zimbabwe
– Customer Service Executive of the Year-Service Excellence in the Public Sector (2015), Marketers Association of Zimbabwe
-Registered Professional Engineer with the Zimbabwe Engineering Council
-Member of both the Zimbabwe and Zambia Institute of Engineers
-Fellow of the Zimbabwe Institution of Engineers